Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Big Thirty On The Big River

Let's face it, life can be insane. Other than insane, I've noticed that it changes its course periodically. What follows is a series of confusing events. Most don't pick up on half the events going on around them, while others are plagued with overactive minds, in which they analyze most every situation under the sun.

I seem to fall into the latter.

With thirty looking me straight in the eyes, I decided to let go of a few things, perhaps freeing up some time. Maybe my analytical scope on life could take a break. 

With thirty, I'm also looking at a new decade. My twenties were the most confusing to date. The best way to bring in the new decade, other than staying sober, would be a day on the river. I could not think of a better way to spend it, especially with my best friend. Sharing the same riffles and runs, and cursing at every snag along the way.





Beau was instantly in on the idea. Spending a healthy dose of time on the water, celebrating my thirtieth, was a perfect excuse to get away from the busy and exhausting home life. With two small kids, it was never ending for him. 

"It was easy, I told Cindy it was your thirtieth, and that meant getting away, plus I had a present for you," said Beau. He was simply trading in a day of formula and rattlers, for a time with flies and rainbows. "I hope you like the two weight brother."

The two weight, a beautifully hand crafted fly rod, came of great surprise, and was by far the best gift. Beau puts a lot of heart and hours into the building of such rods, and this one was without exception. This would be the best rod for small streams, along with irrigation ditches in the late summer, where cutthroat trout pluck caddis flies at will. 

"I'm stoked bro, simply stoked," was all I could muster up.




To view the video of the second bully on my birthday, go here: http://vimeo.com/22686166

2 comments:

  1. So happy for you! Glad you got to spend a special day with your bff. I hope your 30's bring you much happiness, joy and some really cool surprises. Love you son.

    ReplyDelete